Wednesday, March 19, 2014

All Dogs Go To Heaven.

Well yesterday 3/18 it happened.
Our very 1st childhood dog, Bruiser (I always liked the spelling Bruzer better), passed away.
We knew it was going to be soon but when it happens it just breaks your heart.
Here are some special memories that I want to share.
My mom always said no to having a dog and then Bruiser happened as a secret.
My aunty Tia was living with us at the time and she showed up one day with the cutest little puppy, Bruiser.
We hid him in our room and when my aunt was gone Cec and I would play with him and feed him.
Well her situation changed and she was going to move to Hawaii, so she finally told my parents about the dog and asked us if we wanted him.
My mom's initial reaction was NO.
But after a little persuasion with 5 sets of puppy eyes (all 4 of us kids and Bruiser's) she gave in and said YES!!! We all couldn't believe it but were SOOO excited!
And that's how we Bruiser became a part of the Horlacher family.
(My mom has all our older pictures.)
I had everyone send me some of their favorite memories so we can always have them recorded...

Dad
Bruiser would always open the gate with his paw, pulling it open, but he couldn't ever figure out how to get back in so he would wait patiently til we let him back in.
Also, when Bruiser knew he was going for a walk he would go to the leash and get so excited.
Another memory is when Bruiser would wrap himself in a blanket, lay quietly til he heard something then tried to get out but couldn't find his way for a minute.

Mom
Bruiser and I had a special relationship, he respected me by not ever jumping on me or licking me, but he would always show he loved me by his eyes and sitting close to my legs and wanting me to pet him. I loved watching him listen to the commands of "sit" and "no"! I also loved watching him with Chloe (our other dog, his baby mama, or unofficial wife) she would always nag him and try to annoy him but he would always walk away like a man.
Chloe and Bruiser.

Me
My memory is kind of sad but really bonded us. A couple weeks after he was officially ours I was snuggling with him on the couch when I fell asleep with him curled up by my stomach. I am a crazy sleeper and somehow my leg ended up on top of his little puppy body and I didn't know it. One of my siblings woke up in the middle of the night hearing heavy panting so went to see what it was. It was Bruiser panting heavy and sweating (dogs don't sweat) being crushed by my legs. They hurried and woke me up and everyone else in the house and got my dad to try to save Bruiser. He was weak, and panting fast, soaked in sweat, and wouldn't open his eyes. I was bawling like a baby cause I didn't mean to and I felt like I killed him. I don't remember how my dad got him to be alright, all I remember is praying and saying sorry over and over. After Bruiser was okay he instantly forgave me and loved me anyway, I felt like I needed to keep my distance from him cause I didn't want to hurt him again but he would always come up to me and snuggle with me still. I feel like that experience bonded us, even though Bruzer (my spelling) doesn't talk, his actions spoke volumes of love and forgiveness. After that experience I felt like I owed it to him to make sure he was always good and happy. I miss him and will miss seeing his excitement anytime he saw me, seeing his puppies (which were many), his little dog syndrome of toughness, his obedience to any of his tricks and waiting for our okay to get his treats, and just his happy little countenance. Dogs are a beautiful gift from God, and I truly believe that ALL DOGS GO TO HEAVEN.
Cecilee
My favorite memory is really just snuggling with him anytime! His breed (mini doberman pinture) isn't known for being the snuggling type but Bruiser was always so cute and would come up and lay with you and make you feel loved! He definitely would make you feel loved! I also gave him the nick name of "Bubbas", he knew my voice and all I had to say was "It's me, Bubbas" and he would calm down and stop barking. He was our families watch dog and we all loved him so much. I can't wait to see him again.

Trevor
Trevor took care of Bruiser, and Bruiser LOVED him. One of Trevor's favorite memories are when Bruiser would pull Trev around on his rip stick whenever Trev would take him on a walk. Also, Trevor would always race with Bruiser and Bruiser would always outrun him. (Trevor always has few words, but I know that his heart is the heaviest of all cause he had a really special bond with Bruiser.)

Sydnee
When Syd and Trev were trying to come up with a name for him, they thought long and hard about the name. Also, playing the chasing game with Bruiser anytime he would get out. Bruiser would let them get close then bolt, and do that over and over until he got bored then decided he'd come home.
The last time I saw Bruiser alive. He was weak and skinny but he wanted to be with the family and you could see in his eyes the love but also that he was telling us that he wasn't going to be here much longer but that he would always love us.

No comments:

Post a Comment