Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Domesticated...sometimes...

I like to try new things, especially in cooking.
I feel that the kitchen is the easiest place to experiment because my taste buds don't lie.
(Haha me and Jeff say that all the time, kind of a joke, but seriously they don't.)
Today was one of those days where I just wanted to try some of the recipes I have pinned on my pinterest.
I like pinning but I always wonder if normal people (not the professional cooks) ever try the recipes.
So I tried it.
It also helped that my sweet neighbor, Sandy Barker, brings over tons of fresh vegies that need to be used!

So here is what I whipped up in the kitchen today...


Ingredients
  • 2 diced tomatoes
  • 1- 10 oz can orginal Rotel
  • 1/2 small onion, roughly chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 1/2-1 jalapeno, seeded or not (depends on how spicy you like it)
  • 1 teaspoon honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
  • small to medium size handful of cilantro, washed
  • juice of 1 lime
Instructions
  1. Put all the ingredients in the base of a food processor or good blender and pulse to combine for 30 seconds or so until all the ingredients are finely chopped and salsa is desired consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust to taste. Serve with chips or over tacos.
My critique: AMAZING salsa! So delicious and the perfect consistency in texture and flavors!! Best part is that it is so easy! Jeff and I had fun making it together this morning!

Next...

    Ingredients
  • 1 (3 to 4 lb.) boneless pork shoulder roast
  • 1 (18 oz.) bottle barbecue sauce 
  • 1 (12 oz.) can cola soft drink

Preparation

  1. 1. Place roast in a lightly greased 6-qt. slow cooker; pour barbecue sauce and cola over roast. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
My Critique: Soooo delicious and soooo easy!!! Jeff absolutely loved it! We will be using this recipe again and again. Next time I think I will use Dr. Pepper instead of Cola.

Lastly...
 
  
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup freshly puréed beets (boiled until tender, then puréed)
  • 1/3 cup oil (For healthy use coconut)
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp natural cocoa powder (NOT dutch processed)
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 cup milk (or almond milk alternative)   
  • CREAM CHEESE ICING
  • 1/4 cup Butter (Earth Balance for healthy)
  • 1 block cream cheese (250g)
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • a splash of vanilla extract
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Mix the beet purée and oil until incorporated.
  3. Add sugar, vanilla extract.
  4. In a bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
  5. Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk until incorporated into the batter.
  6. Divide among cupcake liners, filling them 3/4 full, and bake for 15-20 minutes (for mini cupcakes) and 20-25 minutes (for regular sized cupcakes) until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle.
  7. To make the cream cheese icing, whip together all ingredients (add the icing sugar 1/2 cup at a time until it reaches your desired consistency)
  8. Pipe onto cupcakes as desired. The beetroot may discolour the frosting if left for too long, so if you are piping this ahead of time, do not do so more than 24 hours ahead of time.
  9. Keep the cupcakes in the fridge and let sit at room temp at least 30 minutes before serving.
My Critique: Amazing way to use beets! It made the cupcakes super moist and the color was gorgeous! The cupcakes are sweet but not too sweet, can taste a little of the beet but I liked it like that. The cream cheese frosting is amazing (I added a tiny bit of milk to make the frosting go further.)

Hopefully you have found my critiques and sharing these recipes helpful! I know reading about other people's cooking experiences and recipes really helps me. Well go try something new today, and you will be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment