Wednesday, September 10, 2014

1 year ago...

Las year I posted this about my grandpa! It's been a year exactly, so I just wanted to repost in memory of him!


St. George Marathon
My grandpa ran a total of 10 marathons, in a row.
When I was about 6 years old I remember watching my grandpa run and feeling amazement.
Later that day Cec and I were rubbing my grandpa's feet and legs and listening to my grandpa tell us all about it.
Then he sat me on his lap and asked if I wanted to run it with him one day?
I said yes of course and that was when I made the promise to run with my grandpa on his 10th marathon.


Well time passed and his 10th came and I wasn't signed up.
I was devastated, so my mom pulled some strings and three days before the marathon I was in.
I was 12 then, I hadn't trained for the marathon, I hadn't run more than 3 miles at a time, but I believed I could do it.
My grandpa was so proud of me, the night before he took me to the convention, took me to all the booths, got me my goody bag and took me to the spaghetti dinner.
He then took me home and told me to rest up and that he would be back to pick me up around 3:30 am so we could catch the first bus up to Central.
He wanted to catch the first bus so we could be the first to use the porter-potties and the be by the fires and feel prepared.
We got up there, used the bathroom, got all ready, then sat and talked to people about their stories around the fire barrels.
I remember watching my grandpa talk to these people, hearing their stories, and making them feel important. I can't tell you the number of people he told, "This is my oldest granddaughter Cambria, and she is running my tenth marathon with me."
It made me feel so good to hear how proud my grandpa was of me.
Then it was time to start the marathon, so we all lined up, and I was scared.
I ran with my grandpa for the first three or four miles when my grandpa told me to go ahead and that he would meet me at the finish line. 
I was scared, I told him I didn't want to go by myself and I wanted to run with him, but he kept insisting and promised he would be okay.
So I started running on ahead.
I was terrified, I was 12, I didn't know anyone, I didn't even know for sure if I could do this because I hadn't trained.
But then I would think of my grandpa and the confidence and pride he had in me and it made me push a little harder.
I ran and ran while my thoughts kept telling me to give up and that I couldn't do it. When I reached Snow Canyon and saw my family waiting for me at the bottom of the hill I broke down in tears because it was so reassuring to have my family cheering me on.
They encouraged me and I pushed on.
When I reached the finish line I felt proud and happy and at peace. We celebrated my finish then went back to cheer on my grandpa and walk the rest with him.
That day my grandpa finished at 7 hours and 40 minutes, I can't describe the feeling of love and pure joy as our whole family ran into the finish line holding hands and celebrating my grandpa's finish.



My grandpa always related the marathon to life and how we do all we can to prepare for the day of the marathon but don't really know what we are getting into until we are there. We line up at the starting line with all of our brothers and sisters and just go for it. We go through ups and downs with each hill, there are some easy parts and some parts you think you will never make it through. The cheering of all your eternal brothers and sisters gives you little pushes you need as your thoughts let Satan tell you that you can't do it. Along the way you catch little glimpses of what heaven will be like when you see your whole family cheering for you and rubbing you down with icy hot and holding signs of love. There are always times you feel all alone and feel like you can't finish but then you remember those little glimpses of heaven and all the people that are rooting for your victory. As you reach the last few miles you reflect on the whole journey of your marathon and how you almost gave up this wonderful experience. You see the finish line and hear the praises of all your heavenly brothers and sisters and know that you did good, you did your very best!
As you cross the finish line you feel like you've entered into your celestial eternity with your family all around and your metal of your hard work and everything just seems to get a little brighter.
My grandpa had it head on when he said the marathon is like this life, and I know his finish line was as glorious as each of the 10 marathon finishes. I feel so blessed to have experienced his last and final marathon with him, and to have experienced his beautiful life and share so many cherished moments with him. I know that his journey had it's ups and downs but he always pushed on and gave his best and I know that his finish line in heaven was a glorious reunion with all his loved ones around admiring his metal of hard work and I know that it's extra bright up there with smiles all around.
I love you Grandpa and I anxiously await our reunion in heaven crossing the finish line there.

No comments:

Post a Comment