Sunday, December 22, 2013

L.C. against BULLIES!!!

No surprise here, but I'm behind in blogging AGAIN!
When life gets busy, like it always does, it's hard to keep up so here I am trying to play catch up.
Anyway, at the beginning of this month Kalamity and Kaos had their big annual benefit concert!
This year was a special year, we were able to have 2 causes.
Our first cause was baby Rayden, who passed away in May. 
 We then found Leah Cardoza, a 17 year old girl with a rare disease (chiari malformation) and on top of that genetic disease she was bullied to the point of people telling her to "kill" herself.
 Through out the year we had the AMAZING opportunity of going into elementary, intermediate, middle, and high schools to show them the assembly we put together to spread awareness on "NO BULLYING."
(I got to be "Kind Kara").
It was such an amazing experience.
My favorite part was having the kids come up to me after each assembly and tell me the things they liked and how they were going to always be nice.
It seems crazy to think that it's assemblies like the ones I get to take part in that really make a difference in kids' lives.
I remember when I was little there was always an anti-drug assembly that had lots of singing and dancing that has stuck with me, and anytime I think of drugs in general the phrase, "Be smart, don't start" pops into my head from one of the songs in the assembly.
 So those assemblies were such a highlight in my days and a blessed opportunity to encourage others to be a little nicer.
Anyway, back to the show...
It was December 5th and 6th at Desert Hills High School.
As usual, we had a bake sale, silent auction, Hungry Howie's dinner, and LOTS of entertainment.
We had the Vault kids show first and then it was our turn to perform after.
It was an amazing show and I had lots of little parts I was excited about!
 I danced hard and had a blast!
We ended up raising over $10,000 in the two nights and after the show on the second night we presented it to Leah!
Every year after the show it's always amazing and emotional to see all your hard work pay off, but this year was especially emotional.
 At the end of the second night I looked out and saw all the first few rows filled with some of our past causes that could come and support, and I felt the overwhelming love of the other causes that have passed on, especially my grandpa and I couldn't help but cry.
I cried like a little baby for a good half hour feeling overwhelmed with pure joy.
It's moments and feelings like that that I truly treasure and draw back on in the hard times.
It's moments like that that make all the hard work and sacrifice from the whole year (year after year) totally worth it.
It's moments like that when you catch a glimpse of eternity and life is put back into perspective.
 I'm so grateful for the opportunity I have to be apart of Kalamity.
People tell me all the time how crazy I am to go to school full time, work, and then wake up at 4am or go to practice til 12am but I always tell those people that they don't understand.
I am able to wake up that early.
I am able to dance and share my talent of dance.
I am able to sacrifice a little sleep to show my love and support to someone that has it harder than me.
I am able to...
And I want to...
Because seeing their face at the end of the year and realizing that my sacrifice of time and sleep are nothing compared to the sacrifice my Savior made for them and I can give whatever I can to help my brothers and sisters know that our Savior loves them, knows how they are feeling, and supports them always.
I know that I won't be able to do it forever, but while I can I will and I will enjoy every second of it!
(So there's my Kalamity testimony, haha.)
If you haven't been to a show to feel the love I'm talking about then you are missing out and there is always next year cause I made the team again! ;)
In closing, hug your family a little tighter and count your blessings.
Make this Christmas centered on Christ and show your love in memorable ways.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment