Thursday, July 28, 2011

It's about time to blog about Hawaii!


Okay, I know I'm awful at blogging but I have an excuse...I've been crazy busy. Okay, so it's not a good enough excuse but I have been really busy. I was having fun with that 30 day game so maybe I will continue it, but in the meantime I think I should blog about my amazing Hawaii experience!


Hawaii at first glance:
Sunny. Aloha. Kind. Humid. Flowers. Green. Beautiful. Sweet. Exotic. Live. Love. Laugh. Home away from home.

 Sunset Beach

I had the opportunity to spend the month of June in Hawaii on the island Oahu. I got there Friday night, June 3rd, and was nonstop from the moment I got there! Hawaii is just beautiful with so much to offer, while I was there I went to soo many different beaches, the Polynesian Cultural Center twice, the swapmeet, Waikiki strip and mall, watched the street performers, tried surfing a few times, The Cheesecake Factory, Kahuku Grill, Tita's grill,  Haleiwa, played the dance game on the Kinect, went hiking, watched beautiful sunrises and sunsets, made amazing new friends, always had a flower in my hair, never did my hair, never wore make up, relaxed, lounged on the beach, spent time with my family, did missionary work, spent time at the Laie temple and visitor center, played games all night, went to a luau or two, and just lived and loved it! I did all of that and soo much more!.


I tried surfing and wow was I surprised. Surfing is such an unique sport! I didn't realize how hard it really is until I tried. Paddling out was exhausting, I made it maybe 100 feet before my arms and upper back felt like they were jello. I gained a whole new respect for surfers. Not only did my arms and back ache, but my ribs from laying on the board hurt as well. Balancing on the board, that was a whole body work out trying to find the perfect balance. But I gave it a try and I'm going to continue to try. I think it's a really great experience that everyone needs to try at least once.

 Ready to hit the waves
  Castles Beach




I went to Waimea bay. It was so beautiful, I know I keep saying that but everything there is absolutely beautiful! The water in Hawaii is perfect, with the perfect temperature and the perfect color. At Waimea bay there is a lovely beach with tons of room for everyone, there's also cliff jumping for anyone who wants to take a chance. The one thing I love most about Hawaii is how chill it is. Everyone is on "local time" they don't care what time it is and are just enjoying life.
Hawaii is such a beautiful place, definitely a place for anyone and everyone! :) 

 Me, Maya, and Shez

The Polynesian Cultural Center is such a great experience! It's a wonderful way to learn about different cultures and it was extremely entertaining. It was especially great for me to learn about my own culture :) I was lucky enough to go twice! Everyone is able to join in the activities and shows at each of the 8 island villages and exhibits. My favorite village was the Samoan village full of the "happy people." In Samoa they showed everyone how to make fire, open a coconut, make coconut juice, climb a palm tree, and smile. It was really entertaining. The Tongan village was hilarious, they did a drum show with volunteers and I can't explain it well, but it was hilarious!! I really enjoyed the canoe show as well, where each island is represented by their style of dance on a canoe that flows through. I was also really stoked about getting a tribal tattoo from the Aotearoa village. I got the chief tattoo that had a lot of really intricate designs. It was really cool and it made me feel really cool. It amazes me that they are able to find so many talented and outgoing people. While I was there I was greeted by every employee there it felt like, and all of them had a big smile on their face. 

After going to every village, we were able to go and enjoy a luau. And let me tell you, it was delicious! They served all of my favorites, kalua pig, pineapple, salad, rice, teriyaki chicken, dessert, and so much more. The best part was that it was buffet!

Then after eating I got to enjoy the night show, "Breath of Life." The night show was a presentation of a little something from every island combined into a great story that had a great moral. I really enjoyed the show, and the whole day for that matter! It was really enjoyable to learn more about culture, but not just any culture, my culture. The PCC was a really great way for me to learn more about my culture, and a great experience for everyone as well!

 Me, Maya, and Shez at the PCC
 The canoe show
 My sick chief tribal tattoo
 Shez modeling his booty and Maya pinching the tiki's butt haha
 Mahalo!
 Waiting for the night show
  
 **Note to self, it's a lot easier to keep up on your blog rather than trying to catch up!!!!!!!!!

Haleiwa is a fun little surf town. I loved just chilling there, having a shave ice, eating Macky's shrimp and walking down the street checking out all the surf shops. I really feel so blessed to have had an opportunity of a lifetime, Hawaii changed me and my life forever. All the little experiences just built up to a better me!

 Me and Maya at a Thai food shop in Haleiwa
 If anyone understands this sign, please inform me. Haha
 Mmmmmm :) soo good!
 Bree, Me, and Shez at Macky's shrimp!
 Dang good shrimp!!!
Leaving Haleiwa

Waikiki was fun too! I loved how in Hawaii the North Shore is beautiful, it's chill, not crowded, but if you feel like going to a "city" you can head down to Waikiki to shop, walk down the strip, eat at expensive restraunts, go clubbing, and so much more. Walking down the strip was definitely entertaining, there's people from all walks of life. I really liked all the dance acts, they danced with passion and you could feel how much dance really meant to them. There were people reading out of the Bible shirtless, guys with parrots, a "love guru", a girl doing a hula hoop act, bracelets for sell, self portrait artists, statues that move for money, and so many other things. I went down to Waikiki a few times for Cheesecake Factory (mmmmmmmhhhhmmmm) and Forever 21. I tried my first malsada at Leanard's in Waikiki, and woweee they were delicious! Malsadas are a mixture between donuts and scones...delicious! Literally melts in your mouth. I think Hawaii is seriously the best, you get the best of both worlds...rural and urban all within an hour of each other!

 Maya, Me, and Shez at the Cheesecake Factory
 Just eating our cheesecakes :)
 How about a picture with a parrot?
 "Shez the bird pooped on your head..." JK!
 The view at Magic Island beach
 Yay it's our turn to get in!
 Megan, Trey, Kevin, Me, and Shez at the Cheesecake Factory again!
 Driving!
 Trey working the pole haha
 We run the world!
 Megan and Me
 Haha
 Some resort, way too beautiful if you ask me...
Leonard's malsadas, Ladd was soo excited!
Driving home from one of our many Waikiki adventures!

Okay so this is as much as I can do today, but the Hawaii adventure is to be continued...cause really, I've only begun to tell about my amazing trip! 

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment